Thursday, March 4, 2010

Graphic

Week 35

Megan and I have been doing some creative assignments where a topic is selected and we go out and shoot it.  This week I suggested 3 shots of one object from 3 different positions and this is what I came up with.

The subject is an ornamental windmill in the Eau Claire area of Calgary close to the river.  The sky was overcast and the windmill had a very graphic appearance.  I selected 3 views that taken together are somewhat symmetrical with me in front of, to the side, and behind the subject.

Graphic shots need to be simple - it is the shape that it is important.  Maybe these are a little busy due to the detail in the windmill.  In post processing I bumped the contrast way up and made it B&W as the shape is what matters.  There is still some texture and detail in it when you look closely which I like.

Camera is a Nikon D3 in aperture mode, f/8, ISO 200, 1/800 second or so.  The lens is my trusty AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm 1:2.8G ED.  The focal length is varying 40-50mm or so depending on where I was standing.

In post I distorted the middle frame to make it fit where I wanted.  I turned it into a triptych in vertical format just to be different.

Idea based on Go Graphic, pages 44-45 in the book 50 Photo Projects by Lee Frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment