Monday, July 13, 2009

Toy Camera

Week 4

Inexpensive film cameras like the ultra low tech Chinese made Holga, about $35 new, are used by some for their sometimes unpredictable artistic effects. For my project I bought a $3.99 Winnie the Pooh camera at Walgreens that was pre-loaded with 35 mm 400 ASA color film.

The idea here is to free yourself from all the camera settings and expensive equipment. The Pooh has nothing to set at all. I have no idea what the aperture or shutter speed is. It is a pretty wide angle lens - I am guessing maybe 28mm or so. The lens is plastic, typical of this breed, and soft at best. At least the camera didn't leak light.

Anyway, out of a roll of 24 exposures (I actually had 27 when developed), this one was the best I thought. Click on it to enlarge and you can see how soft it is in corners. I didn't have to add vignette in Photoshop either.... I did convert it to black and white because I didn't care much for the color.

Just for fun, here I am shooting the Pooh on location at the Maroon Bells near Aspen, Colorado.

This is the shot from above with no Photoshop.

And here is a similar shot taken with a Nikon D3.

Idea based on Toy Story, pages 38-39 in the book 50 Photo Projects, by Lee Frost

2 comments:

  1. This has been my favorite experiment so far. I respect the Pooh camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pooh Camera has largely been overshadowed by the Cinderella Camera as a serious artistic tool. I was in Walgreens the other day and they were selling the Cinderella for $6.95! I have not compared the two directly but I find it hard to believe it is $3.00 better than a Pooh.

    ReplyDelete